This essential oil, also known as gum benjamin, comes from benzoin tree native to Thailand, Java and Sumatra. Benzoin oil has a warm and sweet scent similar to that of vanilla. In the past, this essential oil has been mainly used as an ingredient for Friar’s balsam, a concoction that is used to treat respiratory problems. Aside from addressing respiratory related problems, benzoin oil is widely used nowadays to:
- Treat rashes and measles;
- Aid digestion;
- Promote and facilitate urination;
- Provide relief from arthritis and rheumatism;
- Protect wounds from infection;
- Remove excess gas from the stomach;
- Reduce stress;
- Treat coughs; and,
- Promote blood circulation.
Other health benefits of benzoin oil include:
- Aiding digestion;
- Boosting the pancreas;
- Regulating blood sugar levels; and,
- Reducing irritation, swelling and itchiness on skin.
Pro tips: Mix 4 drops of benzoin oil to 10 ml almond oil, 2 drops lemon oil and 2 drops wheatgerm oil. Dilute the mixed oil with water. Apply on the skin to get rid of brown marks.