20 surprising uses of essential oils you didn’t know
Essential oils are the most versatile ingredient, they can be used in lots many different ways. You are probably familiar with essential oil uses such as in cosmetics, perfumes, aromatherapy, etc. But there are a few uses that are quite strange but very clever. We explore 20 of the uncommon and surprising uses of these marvels of nature.
- DIY ToothpasteYou must have heard of using baking soda as a DIY toothpaste. But essential oils will help you add an extra dimension of freshness to your daily brushing routine. Combine coconut oil and peppermint essential oil with baking soda for a perfect all-natural toothpaste that will leave your teeth feeling clean and your breath smelling fantastic.
Recipe for an All-Natural Toothpaste
Things you will need:
- Coconut oil-6 tablespoons
- Baking soda-6 tablespoons
- Essential oil- 25 drops (You can use whichever you prefer, eucalyptus, grapefruit and peppermint work best)
- Artificial sweetener- 1 teaspoon (e.g. Stevia)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, whip until you have a creamy mixture. Store in a mason jar and seal it up. Either use a Popsicle stick to scoop it out for use or transfer a small amount into a plastic hair-dye bottle and squeeze out the needed amount.
- Freshen Up CarpetsNo matter how hard you try to keep your carpets clean, they will accumulate a strange smell over time. Even freshly washed carpet does not retain its pleasant smell after a few weeks. Essential oils can help you fix this problem.
Mix a few drops of your favorite oil, pick the one which has the most calming scent, maybe Lavender or Clary Sage, and mix with baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture all over the carpet. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then vacuum as usual.
- Make Old Shoes Smell as Good as NewShoes stay on your feet all day and will get a little iffy after all that exposure to sweat, germs and dirt. If you have a pair that has started to smell less pleasant than a chicken coop, grab a bottle of essential oil and clean up those dirty boots.
First clean your shoes, brush off any dirt or dust, basically use the regular method depending on which material your shoes are made of. When you are done, take two cotton balls, put a few drops of peppermint essential oil on it and place each cotton ball in your shoes. Leave them overnight.
- Remove Sticker ResidueDon’t you just hate that gunk-like residue that is left behind whenever you peel off any stickers? It looks ugly and will not come off, no matter how much you try. A quick way to banish this annoying little stickiness is to rub some lemon essential oil over the surface, let it soak for a few minutes and simply wipe clean. You can even use it to remove gum, glue or crayon.
- Take a Calming BathAlright, maybe this one is not very surprising but we have seen people focus way too much on bath bombs and scented candles. If you want a relaxing and calming bath, use essential oils, they are much more potent than candles or bath bombs. You can use a variety of blends, make sure you use a carrier oil if the water is too warm, the heat will cause the essential oils to evaporate. Add 7-9 drops in about 30 drops of carrier oil and soak your way to a calm nirvana.
- An All-Purpose CleanerWant a natural cleaner for bathrooms and kitchens? Vinegar and water is usually the best:
Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water to get the ultimate, all-purpose cleaning liquid.
But if you do not like the pungent smell of vinegar, let’s face it, most people don’t, then add several drops of your favorite essential oil to this liquid to transform it to a pleasantly-scented cleaner.
- As a Room SprayYou can make a room spray that will instantly refresh any room. Fill a glass spritzer bottle with distilled water, add in about 20-30 words of your favorite essential oil and spray it around the room. You house will feel like a spa.
- Cold Sores and Canker SoresCanker sores or cold sores are very painful, if you want to treat them you can use essential oils. Use tea tree oil as a treatment, tea tree oil is antifungal and antibacterial, it will stop the pain and help heal the area. But do not directly apply to skin, use a carrier oil such as jojoba, coconut or olive oil. Then dab onto the affected area using a Q-tip.
- Spot Treatment for AcneTea tree oil is the best natural cure for spots and acne.
It has a mild astringent effect and is also highly anti-infection. Directly apply to the spot using a Q-tip, it will dry out the area and reduce the redness.
- During VacuumingTurn you vacuuming routine a way to freshen up your rooms. Before you start your vacuuming, take a cotton ball and add a few drops of your favorite scent to it. Place this cotton ball inside your vacuum bag and clean away! By the time you are finished your house will have a pleasant scent wafting through it.
- Keep Away RodentsRodents hat the smell of peppermint and will avoid it all costs. Use this to your advantage and keep those pesky little critters out of your house. Soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and place in strategic locations to deter rodents.
- DIY Vapor RubExcellent for congestion or cough, essential oils will open up your nasal passages and relax your airways, add essential oils such as lavender, roman chamomile, bergamot, clary sage, etc. to a carrier oil of your choice and apply to your chest.
- Portable AromatherapyThis little trick will allow you to take your favorite aromatherapy method along with you wherever you go. You can’t lug around diffusers, humidifiers and nebulizers with yourself to the office or on short trip. Use this portable method, take a small film canister and place a cotton ball soaked in an essential oil that calms you. Put this cotton ball inside the canister and close the lid. Open it and take a relaxing whiff whenever you want.
- Facial SteamThis is a perfect way to moisturize and cleanse your skin, relax and clear up any blocked nasal passages or soothe a sore throat. Fill wide-mouthed bowl with hot water, put in a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Cover your head with a towel (like a monk’s hood) now extend that over the bowl and hover over it for 5 to 6 minutes, make sure you are sitting comfortably. Inhale in the steam, you will feel refreshed and your skin will get softer and smoother.
- Natural Insect RepellentEssential oils are also effective at keeping away insects. Flying insects or crawling insects will avoid their scent. You have to create your own bug spray and the best thing is that this one will smell good and will be made of all natural ingredients; the ones on the market are filled with harmful toxins that are not good for you.
- Fill a spray bottle of 8 ounce capacity with 4 ounces of water.
- Add witch hazel to the bottle until it is filled almost to the brim.
- Add in half a teaspoon of vegetable glycerin to the bottle.
- Lastly add in 30-50 drops of your favorite essential oil to the mixture.
- Treat HeadachesYes, these oils are miracles at treating headaches, when applied to the right pressure points they will cure your headaches. Apply 1-2 drops of peppermint oil to the temples and all over the forehead. Also apply to the back of your neck. Massage slowly and your pain should fade away. This will also help relax your nerves and relieve any anxiety you have.
- Treat Minor Cuts and AbrasionsNext time you get a slight cut or scratch, reach for a bottle of tea tree oil instead of your regular pharmaceutical antiseptic. This oil will heal the scratch and will kill any germs that may harm you. You can also use lavender oil for minor scratches or abrasions.
- Ease Swimmer’s EarEase swimmer’s ear by using a mixture of melaleuca and lavender oil. Add a drop of each to a cotton ball, and use it to wipe the inside of your ear, the back part and down both sides of your jawline.
- Germ-Proof your Gym StuffAnything you use in the gym will be exposed to a lot of sweat and humidity, this can act as a breeding ground for germs. Keep your gym stuff free from common germs and fungi with this handy tip:
Fill a small spray bottle with water, add to that a drop of melaleuca and lavender oil, and shake to mix. Then spray your gym stuff with it, including your gym bag, shoes, yoga mat, shoes, etc., after your workout.
- As Secret Ingredients for Your Everyday RecipesYour favorite recipes will get an extra burst of flavor and more intense taste if you include essential oils into the cooking process. Essential oils are highly concentrated, they can make or break a recipe, make sure you use only the recommended amount. Following are a few ways to spice up boring everyday recipes with essential oils. Be sure to use food-grade, high-quality essential oils.
- Your favorite salsa recipe is perfect but you still feel like it’s missing that extra special touch? Spice it with a drop of either cilantro, lemon or lime essential oil. This gives it an intense pop of flavor.
- If you lemonade does not taste lemon-y enough, add a drop of lemon or lime essential oil and you will taste an intense, concentrated yet fresh flavor.
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to your favorite cup of coffee to turn it into a delicious cup of peppermint-y goodness
- Have a perfect smoothie recipe but want some of the flavors to stand out? Add in a drop of lemon, lime or wild orange essential oil.
There are a lot more uses that we haven’t explored yet, stick around and we will let you know more in the future. We were just as surprised as you to learn how versatile essential oils can be.
Find out more benefits and available products at Keeva Organics.
If you have any questions regarding essential oil therapy or our products, give us a call on the following number or contact customer support directly:
Phone: (262) 909-5346 9a – 9p PST
Customer Support: (602) 910-4472 9a – 5p EST