Essential Oils and Breathing Disorders
Essential oils that are helpful for asthma, bronchitis, croup and other lung disorders include:
Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Peppermint, Myrrh, Rose, Rosemary, and Tea Tree.
Avoiding Asthma Attacks
Asthma attacks can include a sudden coughing fit, wheezing, tightness in the chest and troubled breathing. All of these symptoms are caused when your airway gets narrow because of swelling. The swelling is triggered by allergens in your environment. Avoiding asthma attacks is only possible if you avoid the common triggers, a few of the triggers are listed below:
- Secondhand smoke
- Secondhand perfume or fragrance inhalation
- Avoid exposure to dust mites
- Eliminate cockroaches from your home
- Pets and pet fur
- Presence of mold or fungi
- Indoor air pollution
- Avoid breathing in pollutants from the outside
- Avoid stress and intense emotional outbursts
Learn more at https://www.youtube.com/embed/d9a3kp2ZEeQ
What Essential Oils Can Be Used as Asthma Cures?
The following oils are best if you want to control and prevent asthma attacks, the properties of each oil are described and the methods for usage are also given in detail. The methods are simple and will provide relief when used regularly.
- Peppermint Essential OilThis oil will help you get rid of chest congestion, it also has antihistamine properties (anti-allergic), and it will help relieve asthma attacks. Exposure to allergens such as dust, smoke, or pollen will cause an asthma attack. Allergens cause the body to release histamines, these trigger your asthma. The use of peppermint oil will inhibit the release of the histamines.
How to use:
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop of lemon
- 8 drops of lavender
- 20 drops of carrier oil (Sweet Almond, Jojoba or Olive)
To prevent asthma attacks rub this mixture onto your chest and neck, massage gently to aid absorption and inhale the soothing scent.
- Lavender Essential Oil has Anti-inflammatory Effect on Asthma –Lavender is well-known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It also has a mild sedative effect and is very good when used as an asthma cure.
How to use:
Try inhaling a combination of lavender oil+eucalyptus or lavender+peppermint. The combination of these scents will provide relief during a mild asthma attack.
Add a few drops of lavender oil into a bowl of hot water, put a towel over your head and inhale the steam, this will cleanse your airway and also keep your skin moisturized.
- Bergamot + Roman ChamomileBoth of these are anti-spasmodic, that is they will relieve asthma symptoms. They help relax the muscle contractions in the bronchial passage that occur during an asthma attack. Bergamot and chamomile also help ease tension of the mind.
How to use:
Mix a few drops of both oils and rub the mixture on your chest and back. This will control mild asthma attacks.
- Tea Tree Oil Essential OilTea tree oil is a cough expectorant, it will help remove mucus from the system. The presence of mucus causes wheezing. Coughs and bronchitis can also be controlled if you use tea tree oil.
How to use:
Put a clean washcloth in warm water, wring out any excess water, place a few drops of tea tree oil on the towel. Put this warm towel on your face and lie back, breathe through the towel. You will feel your throat clearing and your breathing will become regular.
- Eucalyptus Essential OilEucalyptus has a strong odor which will help clear up the air passages. A substance called eucalyptol, present in the oil will which break up any phlegm and mucus in your airways and allows you to breath easily.
How to use:
Add a few drops to a bowl of warm water and breathe in the steam, you will feel your lungs relax, and any spasms will go away.
- Frankincense Essential OilFrankincense oil is an excellent expectorant and also has strong anti-inflammatory effects. It will help in decongesting your lungs and open up the nasal passages. The oil will also relieve anxiety, stress and nervousness.
How to use:
Use a reed diffuser to waft the oil into the surroundings; relax and breathe deeply in the room. Or simply use it as a chest rub.
- Oregano Essential OilOregano oil is both antifungal and antibacterial. Using it will help ease any breathing problems in asthma patients, simply inhaling it will produce fast relief. The oil is also said to help prevent respiratory tract infections.
How to use:
Put 25 drops of the oil in a spritzer bottle filled with 5 ounces of water. Make a mist and inhale. If you prefer a diffuser, then add a few drops of oregano essential oil and inhale.
- Clove Essential OilClove oil is one of the most effective oils when it comes to helping treat asthma.
How to use:
Use a vaporizer or oil diffuser, diffuse the oil into the room for about 20 minutes. You can also use it as a chest rub, but dilute it with water or carrier oil as this oil is too strong for direct skin application.
- Thyme Oil Essential OilThyme oil will give a boost to your immune system. It will strengthen the lungs due to its antiseptic and antibacterial effects. Thyme will eliminate asthma symptoms such as coughing and wheezing.
How to use:
Best if used in combination with bergamot oil. Use the combination as a chest rub. You can also add thyme oil in hot water and inhale the steam.
The Best Method for Asthma Control Therapy Using Essential Oils
The recommended method to use essential oils for asthma control is direct inhalation. Indirect inhalation will involve using a few kinds of extra apparatus. Any room where the air is dry will trigger asthma; help keep the air quality to an optimal level of humidity by infusing the atmosphere with the goodness of essential oils.
The things you will need and the exact method for each are given; you can use any of the essential oils that are recommended in this article when applying any of these methods:
- Room freshenersYou can simply add 1-5 drops of essential oil to a bowl that is half-full of hot water; the water must be at a temperature that is warm but make sure the water is not boiling. Place the bowl in a safe space and after a while the air in the room will get softer as the humidity increases and the essential oils will evaporate with the water and help you relax when you breathe in the air.
- BurnersBurners are small containers made of ceramic, stone or clay. They have a hollow opening inside them where a candle can be placed to provide heat. The container on top is filled with water; gently place one to five drops of essential oil on the top of the water, and light the candle below. Make sure you use water or the oil will burn away quickly, and leave a sticky residue in your burner.
Warning: Be sure to keep the burner away from pets and children
- FansYou can use battery operated or electric fans and freshen up the room. These fans come with a number of tiny, absorbent pads. Add on or two drops of oil to the pads place them in the fan (there will be a special compartment meant for them) and then turn it on to spread the essential oils into the air.
- HumidifiersHumidifiers can be easily found in many drugstores. To use it you simply fill the container with water, and turn it on. The humidifier will heat the water and release steam into the room. Put a few drops of your essential oil onto a tissue; place this tissue near the humidifier in direct path of the steam.
Using the essential oil in the water container is not recommended because the oils will simply float on the water and not get infused in the air. Humidifiers are the best option if you want to control asthma attacks or croup.
- DiffusersDiffusers come in many shapes and sizes and can have multiple compartments that are timed to activate at different hours. The diffuser gently heats up the essential oils and releases them into the surroundings.
- NebulizersNebulizer is an electrical device; it comes with a small glass attachment, which is filled with an essential oil. Make sure you add a few drops of undiluted essential oil. The nebulizer turns the oil into microscopic sized droplets that mix with the air. Nebulizers do not heat up the oil and are best for large areas.
Warning: Nebulizers are expensive and fragile, use them carefully. Also be sure not to overdose on essential oils. Also, do not leave it running for too long.
- Spritzer spraysSpritzer sprays of essential oils are created by mixing oils in a spray bottle with water. These are very handy for controlling hot flashes or to perk you up if you are feeling fatigued.
Warning: Make sure you do not accidentally use this spray on plants or flowers, essential oils will harm them.
Benefits of the Inhalation Method
The inhalation method has been shown to have both physical and mental effects. It is a simple method but has acts fast and can calm your senses in a few minutes, particularly when used for breathing problems. The following issues can be successfully cured:
- Respiratory tract infections (both upper and lower)
- Hay fever
- Asthma control
- Depression or fatigue
The Best Essential Oil Blend for Asthma
This essential oil recipe will help asthma sufferers. It uses lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint oil; lavender will help you sleep better by opening up the nasal passages. The recipe is given below.
You will need the following:
- 8 drops of Peppermint oil
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus oil
- 28 drops of Lavender oil
Mix these oils and use them in your preferred inhalation method or place a few drops on your neck and chest.
Breathing Rub for Asthma and Bronchitis Relief
You will need:
- Jojoba oil—1 ounce
- Eucalyptus essential oil—3 drops
- Pine needle essential oil—3 drops
- Tea Tree oil—3 drops
- Frankincense essential oil –2 drops
- Myrrh essential oil—2 drops
- Thyme essential oil—2 drops
Mix the essential oils with the jojoba oil which serves as the carrier oil. Gently rub a small amount on the chest to help relieve congestion or lessen asthma sensitivity.
If you would rather use a diffuser then just eliminate the jojoba oil and simply create a blend of essential oils; use this blend in a diffuser.
Some essential oils might cause an allergic reaction or have too strong a scent. Always do a patch test, place a drop on the skin and see if any reaction occurs within 24 hours. Be sure to consult your doctor before starting essential oil therapy for asthma.
Essential oils will help control your asthma attacks, their use is also beneficial for the treatment of many other problems, whether it be cosmetic problems (acne, dry skin, hair fall, wrinkles, etc.), diseases of the circulatory or nervous system. Find out more benefits and available products at Keeva Organics.
If you have any questions regarding essential oil therapy or our products, give us a call on the following number or contact customer support directly:
Phone: (262) 909-5346 9a – 9p PST
Customer Support: (602) 910-4472 9a – 5p EST