This essential oil comes from the seed of the ajowan plant also commonly called bishop’s weed. Ajowan oil is popularly known for being used as a tonic to help cure digestive problems. Since ancient times, ajowan oil has been used in India for its health benefits and has been greatly valued for its carminative (acid reducing), anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. The health benefits of ajowan oil include:
- Inhibiting the growth of fungus and Streptococcus mutans;
- Dealing with dental caries;
- Protecting the liver;
- Keeping the heart healthy;
- Increasing sperm count; and,
- Preventing the growth of tumors and cancer cells.
It is also effective for treating:
- Inflammation especially among pregnant and lactating women;
- Chronic fever
- Cold, sinusitis, nasal congestion, sore throat,
- Rheumatoid arthritis, earache, hiccups, hyperacidity, headache, migraine, dyspepsia and urinary tract infection.
Pro tips: Add a few drops of ajowan oil to your diffuser to get rid of mosquitoes and other insects. You can also add ajowan oil in stored water or damp places in your house to kill maggots or larvae like that of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes that can cause the spread of diseases like dengue and yellow fever.