Otherwise known as pimento or Jamaican pepper oil comes from pimento, a tree native to the Caribbean islands and Central America. Aside from being a culinary spice, allspice oil is also known for its health benefits like:
- Relieving headaches, colds, sinusitis, cramp, spasms, arthritis, rheumatism and gastric cramps;
- Protecting wounds from bacterial infection;
- Treating neuralgia, insomnia, flatulence and indigestion;
- Boosting blood circulation, proper digestion and regular excretion; and,
- Healing insect bites, stings as well as bone and muscular injuries.
Allspice oil is rich in antioxidants and has a spicy and warm scent reminiscent to that of cinnamon and clove essential oils. It is also rich in eugenol which makes it an effective antiseptic and anesthetic substance. Other vitamins and minerals that are helpful to the body can also be found in allspice oil such as vitamins A, C and B-complex, magnesium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, selenium, riboflavin and niacin.
Pro tips: Put 2-3 drops of allspice oil on a cotton ball and dab it on your tooth to relieve toothache.