This essential oil comes from asafetida, also called as “food for the gods”, “devil’s dung” or “stinking gum,” that is indigenous to Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran. Asafetida oil is an antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, laxative, expectorant, anti-flatulent, anti-coagulant and antispasmodic substance. Its benefits include:
- Reducing gas;
- Lowering cholesterol;
- Treating depression and hysteria;
- Preventing constipation and digestive disorders;
- Relieving headaches, migraines;
- Treating dysmenorrhea;
- Regulating blood pressure;
- Countering the effects of alcoholism on the liver;
- Serving as a natural insecticide;
- Killing parasitic worms; and,
- Curing candida
It is also effective for treating:
- Asthma, whooping cough, bronchitis;
- Minor inflammations;
- H1N1 virus (swine flu);
- Irregular bowel movements;
- Toothaches, halitosis, cavities, and bleeding gums;
- Seizures caused by epilepsy.
It is also used as an additive, food preservative, flavoring and fragrance.
Pro tips: Dab a drop of asafetida oil on your palm or wrist and smell it to prevent hysteria and nervous tension.