Buchu oil comes from the dried leaves of the three species of Barosma that is native to South Africa. This essential oil has been popularly used in food manufacturing to add a spicy and fruity flavor to food resembling that of black currant or a mixture of rosemary and peppermint. Buchu oil is effective for:
- Aiding digestion;
- Relieving rheumatism and arthritis;
- Removing gas from the intestines;
- Keeping mosquitoes, fleas, bedbugs, and lice away
- Protecting the body against any form of infection;
- Boosting the metabolism;
- Treating kidney and urinary tract infection; and,
- Preventing wounds from becoming septic.
Buchu oil also helps treat:
- Prostate problems;
- Kidney problems;
- Water retention;
- High blood pressure and congestive heart failure.
Unlike most other essential oils, buchu oil has high pulegone content, making it unsafe for aromatherapy use.
Pro tips: Apply 1-2 drops of Buchu oil to skin to remedy bruises and sprains.